If you want to go to Australia for any purpose such as education, work or travel, you will need a visa. And for each purpose, there exists a different type of visa, which have been divided into subclasses. In this article for the series of article Types of Visas in Australia , we have included visa subclasses which an International Student might find interesting, since they are closely related to education and training.


subclass 500


Student Visa Subclass 500

The Subclass 500 Student Visa is the visa any international student applies for to get into an Australian school or university. It is valid for 5 years in line with your enrolment. To be eligible for the visa, you need to be enrolled in a course of study in Australia. You also have to be of age 16 or higher, and you have to show a welfare arrangement if you are under 18.

You also have to hold the OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover). OSHC is a health insurance program designed to assist international students in covering the costs of medical and hospital treatment that they may require for the duration of their stay in Australia.

Financial requirements: Evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition, travel and living costs. From February 2018, the amount you need to prove you have for living costs (separate from tuition and travel) is set at AU$20,290 (~US$13,750) for a year.

With this visa, you will be able participate in an eligible course of study, bring family members to Australia with you, apply online in or outside Australia and work additional hours in certain sectors.


Student Temporary Graduate visa subclass 485

The subclass 485 has three streams under it namely Graduate work stream, Post Study Work Visa, and a Second Post-Study Work Visa. To be eligible for this visa, you should be below 50 years of age. and you must have had held a student visa in the last 6 months and have a recent qualification in a CRICOS-registered course.

You can apply for this visa after you have completed a minimum 2 years of CRICOS registered course in Australia. After applying for this visa, you can only be nominated for one stream, so it is not possible to change visa streams after you apply for it. You are required to attach the specified evidence when asked while applying for this visa.

Learn more about the graduate visa streams here.


Subclass 407 Training Visa

Some occupations such as construction project manager, structural engineers, early childhood teachers, day care center workers, nursing and health care workers, accountants, architects, teaching, IT professionals and Programmers are included in this subclass 407 visa category.

It means that students who have finished their studies in Australia and they fall in one of these category of occupation, then they can apply for 407 Training visa whereby along with full time paid work, they have to undergo training at their workplace.

This visa included workplace based occupational training activities which are designed to improve your skills for that job. With this option, you will be able to upgrade your knowledge in parts of Australia such as area of tertiary study, field of expertise or in a professional development training programs.

NOTE: You have to be sponsored, nominated or invited for this visa application