Around 300,000 participants from more than 200 countries and territories visit the United States on J-1 visas each year. Eighty-five percent are 30 years of age or younger. Fifty-five percent are women or girls. Nearly 1,500 designated U.S. sponsors participate in the program.

Who are Interns in the EVP

Interns are college and university students or recent graduates gain exposure to U.S. culture as they experience U.S. business practices in their chosen occupational field. The program is particularly beneficial since it connects the bridge between school education and practical work.

Interns must be foreign citizens who are currently enrolled in and pursuing studies in an academic institution outside the United States, or who have graduated from such an institution within the previous 12 months of the start date of their exchange visitor program.

Who are Trainees in the EVP

Trainees are professionals with a degree,  certificate, or relevant work experience gain exposure to U.S. culture and receive training in U.S. business practices through a structured and guided work-based program. These programs are considered beneficial for all interested individuals.

You will need to demonstrate in your training program that you will enhance the skills that you already have, as well as those you need to work on. To be eligible for this program, one can also have five years of work experience outside of the United States in the occupational field for which they are seeking training.


The Exchange Visitor Program fosters global understanding through educational and cultural exchanges.  All exchange visitors are expected to return to their home country upon completion of their program in order to share their exchange experiences.

Internship and Training Programs


How long can I stay in the US with a J1 visa?

From 3 months to 18 months depending upon the internship the applicant’s choice or the Host Company’s offer.

Are J1 visa holders allowed to work at other places besides the Host Company?

No. Your J1 visa indicates that you will be paid for the internship and that is the only paid placement you can participate in.

When can I enter the USA after receiving J1 visa sanction?

Once you have obtained your J-1 visa, you are ready to travel to the U.S. Immigration regulations allow you to enter the U.S. no earlier than 30 days prior to the start date of your program indicated in Section 3 of your SEVIS Form DS-2019.


Contact us for more info.

More FAQs

America is a land of opportunities. International students and workers alike come here just for this very reason, a land full of opportunities for any person willing to present their efforts. The J1 Exchange Visitor Program is a path to such opportunity. Interested? Contact Us..

Exchange Visitor Program Application Form

  • (Please enter your most recent qualification)
    ( The Exchange Visitor Visa of USA has several programs you can choose from. We offer two such programs.)